Location: Automotodrom Brno
The world’s most famous riders have taken part in GP events in Brno since 1930, where up until 1982 they would race through the villages and western parts of the city on a road track named after the first Czechoslovak President – T.G. Masaryk. The only venue that has hosted more grand prix events than Brno is Assen in The Netherlands. The first Czechoslovakian Grand Prix was held at Brno in 1965 and the 500cc race was held over thirteen laps of the original 13.94 km long road circuit. The circuit was shortened to 10.92 km in 1975 in an effort to improve safety and the last premier-class race held on the road circuit at Brno was in 1977. The current circuit was first used for grand prix racing in 1987 and hosted the Czechoslovakian GP through until 1991. Brno did not appear on the calendar for 1992, but the event was revived in 1993 as the Grand Prix of the Czech Republic and has taken place every year since.
Popular with both fans and riders, the new circuit is built in a natural bowl which is banked in places to offer spectators an excellent view. Brno constantly changes in elevation as it sweeps across forested hillsides and its fast undulating corners test rider talent and engineering to the limit.